Re: psql show dbsize?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: andy <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql show dbsize?
Date: 2007-10-31 20:56:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

andy wrote:
> I know its way too late in the game, sorry, but it's a very small patch...
>
> I was wondering if this could be added to 8.3: it adds the dbsize to \l
> in psql.

8.3 is many months beyond feature-freeze, so no, that's not likely to
happen.

> It looks like this:
>
> List of databases
> Name | Owner | Encoding | Dbsize
> -----------+----------+----------+---------
> andy | andy | LATIN1 | 4255 kB
> cramd | andy | LATIN1 | 526 MB
> postgres | postgres | LATIN1 | 4263 kB
> template0 | postgres | LATIN1 | 4136 kB
> template1 | postgres | LATIN1 | 4255 kB
> (5 rows)
>

> pretty nice, huh?

Not sure I like it at all. You've just turned \l from something that's
essentially free (a lookup in pg_database, which is very likely to be
either cached or at least very small) to something that can carry a
significant I/O cost if you have a lot of/large databases.

//Magnus