Re: Postgresql 8.3 beta crash

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Sheikh Amjad <sheikhamjad(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.3 beta crash
Date: 2007-10-31 16:34:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sheikh Amjad wrote:
> Following test case is crashing the postgresql-8.3-beta
> create schema st;
>
> CREATE TABLE ST.STUDENT(
> STUDENT_ID VARCHAR2(10),
> NAME VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
> NIC CHAR(11),
> DOB DATE NOT NULL,
> GENDER CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
> MAR_STAT CHAR(1) NOT NULL,
> NATION VARCHAR2(15),
> FNAME VARCHAR2(50) NOT NULL,
> GNAME VARCHAR2(50),
> ADDRESS VARCHAR2(100) NOT NULL,
> POS_CODE VARCHAR2(8),
> PER_TEL VARCHAR2(15),

VARCHAR2? That smells like Oracle...

I was able to reproduce this after replacing those VARCHAR2's with
VARCHAR. I added some debugging elog's (attached), and it looks like
libxml2 is trying xml_pfree a pointer we never gave it in any of the
alloc functions. Log attached, last xml_pfree crashes and it's the first
time 853c180 is mentioned.

I guess the next step is to narrow it down to a self-contained test case
and send a bug report to libxml people.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Attachment Content-Type Size
xml-memory-debug.patch text/x-diff 1.4 KB
xml-crash.log text/x-log 3.5 KB