Rule system

From: Gena Gurchonok <gena(at)rt(dot)mipt(dot)ru>
To: bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Rule system
Date: 2000-06-30 13:28:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name :Gena Gurchonok
Your email address :gena(at)rt(dot)mipt(dot)ru

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium) :Intel Celeroom

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF) : Linux 2.2.16 ELF

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-6.5.1): PostgreSQL-7.0.2

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0) : gss 2.91.66

I've noticed interesting feature in PSQL 7.0.2
when executing insertion rules PSQL does not substitute new.* with
real values - it calculates these fields only as needed

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a

1 I create SEQUENCE ss
2 I create table tt with field (a int4 default NEXTVAL(ss) )
3 I create table t2 with field (i int4)
4 I
create rule r as on insert to tt do insert into t2(i) values(new.a);

RESULT

For each insertion into tt sequence ss increases by 2. Tables tt and
t2 have DIFFERENT values after insert (for example tt have 2 and t2
have 1)

in rule system when rule executes it uses "non calculated information"
so we have NEXTVAL(ss) called twice:
first time for rule command
second time for insert command

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

Is it a bug or a feature?

Thanks for support.

Gena