Re: PG windows service issues

From: Oisin Glynn <me(at)oisinglynn(dot)com>
To: Yves Moisan <ymoisan(at)groupesm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG windows service issues
Date: 2007-10-30 21:45:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Yves Moisan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to this list.
>
> I've set up postgreSQL on windows about 4 times since the first 8.x
> series came out. The first time it was 8.0 beta3 IIRC. I believe
> I've installed another in the 8.0 series, then a 8.1 then just a
> couple of weeks ago 8.2.4. Every time I run into the same problem. I
> get the thing to work, find out I have to hack a couple of conf files
> to allow the port to work and then when I close my machine, trying to
> restart the service fails. (I know a server isn't meant to be shutdown
> like a desktop machine, but I'm trying out PG on my desktop ...)
>
> The only way I found to get rid of that problem is to reinitialize the
> password of the account that runs the service *every time I reboot my
> machine*. Then I can start the service. This is not only cumbersome,
> but it is outright dangerous. I wonder why this happens. I've
> installed a lot of software from the linux world as services
> (e.g.Zope) and I never encountered such problems. How can I get rid
> of those issues ?
>
> Sorry for the slightly whining tone of this email (I do like
> postgreSQL!), but I figured those types of issues had some time to
> settle since the 8.x series came out and they didn't.
>
> TIA, from a user who wants to bring folks to postgreSQL on windows,
>
> Yves Moisan

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

The only similar issues I have seen was where the user was created for
the DB with the user must change password at next login option and this
caused some issues? Also if I removed and reinstalled PostgreSQL in some
of the older 8.0.X?? versions it complained as it tried to create the
postgres user account when it already existed.

I am installing PostgreSQL 8.0.x 8.1.x and 8.2.x on Windows 2000 Pro and
Server, Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server without issue.
Are you deinstalling and reinstalling on the same machine over and over?
Does the postgres windows user still exist after the deinstall?

Oisin