Re: Optimizing PostgreSQL for Windows

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Christian Rengstl <Christian(dot)Rengstl(at)klinik(dot)uni-regensburg(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimizing PostgreSQL for Windows
Date: 2007-10-30 19:21:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

Christian Rengstl a écrit :
> My OS is Windows 2003 with 4GB Ram and Xeon Duo with 3.2 GHz;
> shared_buffers is set to 32MB (as I read it should be fairly low on
> Windows) and work_mem is set to 2500MB, but nevertheless the query takes
> about 38 seconds to finish. The table "table1" contains approx. 3
> million tuples and table2 approx. 500.000 tuples. If anyone could give
> an advice on either how to optimize the settings in postgresql.conf or
> anything else to make this query run faster, I really would appreciate.

32MB for shared_buffers seems really low to me but 2500MB for work_mem
seems awfully high. The highest I've seen for work_mem was something
like 128MB. I think the first thing you have to do is to really lower
work_mem. Something like 64MB seems a better bet at first.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org