Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Trevor Talbot <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date: 2007-10-26 20:12:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Right. You need to look at VM size in *process explorer*. VM size in
>> task manager has nothing to do with VM size, it's the private bytes :-S
>> And there is no way to see that info from task manager, I think. PE is
>> your friend.
>>

>> Anyway. Other than a refresher on those, I'd be interested in two other
>> important parts:
>> * How many threads does it reach when you have 300 active backends?
>> * Is there a handle leak? meaning once your 300 backends have exited,
>> does the number of handles in the process drop down to the same value it
>> had before?
>
> Without patch:
>
> VM: 1,322,792K
> Idle threads: 6
> Peak threads: 306
> Handles at start: 576
> Handles at end: 576
>
> With patch:
>
> VM: 98,088K
> Idle threads: 3
> Peak threads: 7
> Handles at start: 576
> Handles at end: 585 (585 again after second run).

Ah, now we're talking. That's the kind of reduction I was looking for :-)

I think the difference in handles is because the threadpool keeps some
things around. As long as it stays at 585 and comes back down after a
second run, we're fine at that - there's no leak.

Attached is an updated version of the patch, currently being tested by
both me and Dave. If it passes our tests, I'll apply this so it gets
included for broader testing in beta2.

//Magnus

Attachment Content-Type Size
win32_child.patch text/x-patch 11.8 KB