Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Trevor Talbot <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date: 2007-10-26 16:24:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Taking this one to -hackers once and for all now...
>
> Can you try the attached patch? See how many backends you can get up to.

Regression tests run just fine, and I've run multiple pgbench runs with
3 and 4 sessions of 100 connections each*, with pgAdmin monitoring
things at the same time. Saw up to 403 simultanteous connections in
pg_stat_activity, and the system remained stable and responsive, albeit
somewhat slower than normal.

So, 400 connections on a 2.33GHz MacBook Pro running XP Pro with 2GB RAM
- thats not too shabby :-)

/D

* For those that weren't peering over Magnus' or Greg's shoulder during
various IM discussions over the last few days, I've found that the ~125
connection ceiling I was hitting when running from a command prompt was
actually an as yet unsolved problem in pgbench, not the server. Multiple
pgbench sessions seem to run just fine if kept to around 100 connections
each.