Re: Problem with PITR Past Particular WAL File

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Craig McElroy <craig(dot)mcelroy(at)contegix(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with PITR Past Particular WAL File
Date: 2007-10-25 18:05:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

>> #0 0x080b8ee0 in entrySplitPage ()
>> #1 0x080baccf in ginInsertValue ()
Corrupted stack? gin_xlog_cleanup() doesn't call ginInsertValue() directly.

>> #2 0x080b81b7 in gin_xlog_cleanup ()
>> #3 0x080af4ce in StartupXLOG ()
>> #4 0x080c04ca in BootstrapMain ()
>> #5 0x08186b2f in StartChildProcess ()
>> #6 0x081889eb in PostmasterMain ()
>> #7 0x0814ee9e in main ()

> Teodor, can you comment on whether this stack trace looks like it could
> be related to that fix?
No, I suppose. That changes was about deadlock prevention, recognize splits and
fixes in deletion of page in a posting tree. entrySplitPage() is a split of page
of indexed values.

Hmm. I suppose, I found a reason. Real backtrace should look like:
gin_xlog_cleanup()
ginContinueSplit()
prepareEntryScan(,,,NULL) // makes btree.ginstate = NULL
ginInsertValue()
entrySplitPage() // tries to access
// btree->ginstate->tupdesc in
// 497 line

That piece of code:
value = index_getattr(leftrightmost, FirstOffsetNumber,
btree->ginstate->tupdesc, &isnull);
btree->entry = GinFormTuple(btree->ginstate, value, NULL, 0);
ItemPointerSet(&(btree->entry)->t_tid, BufferGetBlockNumber(lbuf),
InvalidOffsetNumber);

It just makes new tuple with the same value and another ItemPointer. Some later
I'll make a patch which will not call index_getattr() and GinFormTuple() - now I
know how make a test suite.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/