Re: dblink un-named connection doesn't get re-used

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink un-named connection doesn't get re-used
Date: 2007-10-19 04:17:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Decibel! wrote:
> Is it intentional that dblink's unnamed connections don't get re-used?

yes

> stats=# select dblink_connect('dbname=stats');
> dblink_connect
> ----------------
> OK
> (1 row)
>
> stats=# select dblink_connect('dbname=postgres');
> dblink_connect
> ----------------
> OK
> (1 row)

> AFAIK there's no way I could possibly use or refer to the connection to
> stats at this point; so why doesn't dblink close it when I issue the
> second connect?

Why doesn't C free allocated memory automatically if you reassign a pointer?

No one has ever complained before, so I can't imagine that the resource
leak is much of an issue in real world cases. But if you don't like the
behavior, patches are gratefully accepted ;-).

Seriously though, I can change it for 8.3, but is it really worth
back-patching?

Joe