Re: How to improve speed of 3 table join &group (HUGE tables)

From: John Major <major(at)cbio(dot)mskcc(dot)org>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to improve speed of 3 table join &group (HUGE tables)
Date: 2007-10-18 20:04:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Hekki-

When I turn seq_scan off for the new query:

explain
select sf.library_id, fio.clip_type , count(sf.sequence_id)
from sequence_fragment sf, fragment_external_info fio
where sf.seq_frag_id = fio.sequence_frag_id
and sf.sequence_id IN
(SELECT sequence_id from sequence_alignment)
group by sf.library_id, fio.clip_type

The index is used... but the cost gets worse!
it goes from:
11831119
-TO-
53654888

Actually... The new query executes in ~ 15 minutes... which is good
enough for me for now.

Thanks Nis!

john