Upgrade time, dump+restore trouble.

From: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upgrade time, dump+restore trouble.
Date: 2007-10-17 14:18:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

We have a quite large (in our measurements) database, currently around
150GB of data.

Time has come to upgrade to 8.2.5 from 8.1.10. Going to the fine
manual.. having a system where both databases are installed PG8.1 on
port 5432 and PG8.2 on port 5433, logging in as the "postgres" user and
running:

pg_dumpall | psql -p 5433

This fails due to constraints on the tables. Typical error messages look
like:
ERROR: new row for relation "box_full" violates check constraint
"tower_id_ref"

The tables are running a "home-made" timetravelling feature where a
contraint on the table implements the foreing keys on the table.

How can I instruct pg_dumpall to turn off these constriants during
dump/restore?

Jesper
--
Jesper Krogh, jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc