Re: Using bitwise operator vs. mapping table

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using bitwise operator vs. mapping table
Date: 2007-10-16 02:02:26
Lists: sfpug

David Fetter wrote:
>> However, we're growing and our users run quite a lot of reports
>> which already do 5 or 6-way joins.
>
> Is this actually causing a problem?

EXPLAIN ANALYZE isn't too excited. This is where I think a real DBA
could tweak the queries and indexes a bit to improve the times.

> Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
> Donald E. Knuth,
> ACM Journal Computing Surveys
> Vol 6, No. 4, Dec. 1974. p.268

And optimization permanently left undone is the root of all slow
applications! :) Ok, maybe that's not true either. This application
is 4 years old; it's due for some optimization so I pinged the list to
see if this approach had any advantages.

Brian