Re: Difference between materialized view and table

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: sayali k <sayali_s_kulkarni(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Difference between materialized view and table
Date: 2007-10-15 09:01:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

sayali k wrote:
> As of now, PGSQL does not support materialized views. Just wanted to confirm the difference between the materialized view and table. Is there some operation which can be performed only on a table and not on a materialized view or vice-versa?

That's quite an academic question, given that we really don't support
materiealized views. Presumably updating materialized views would have
the same limitations as normal views; only simple views are updatable,
but you can create custom rules. Presumably physical level operations,
like CREATE INDEX, CLUSTER and VACUUM would work on materialized views
just like on tables.

Is that the kind of operations you were thinking of?

--
Heikki Linnakangas