Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken
Date: 2007-10-15 08:38:11
Lists: pgsql-www

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:51:38AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Dave, all:

>>> No objections or modifications? Can we make the document canonical and link
>>> the criteria from the Submit page, then?
>> No, I'm fine with it. We should format it up as part of the main site
>> rather than linking to the wiki.
>
> One clearification - does "Postgresql family news" include all pgfoundry
> projects, or just "major" ones? If second, how do we define which are
> major?

It should be all - after all, they have a fairly rigourous approval
process to get on pgFoundry in the first place.

> Also, looking back at the news just added today, is "EnterpriseDB Postgres"
> considered a "postgresql family product" or a commercial one? Maybe a
> guidance bullet on "downstream distributions"?

It's certainly not commercial, but yes that does seem worth clarifying.

> As for events, I'm not sure I agree with the very last point, about
> "conferences with little pg content". I think that depends a lot - in some
> areas, having a single postgresql session *is* a major event. It no longer
> is in the US for example, but in a lot of other places it is.

It's a bit subjective. I'd be happy with any level of content from a
single session up, as long as it includes details so people don't spend
serious money getting somewhere only to find just a single session.

> Training events - should we require that they include information about the
> cost to attend?

Sounds reasonable.

/D