Re: pgAdmin licence

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin licence
Date: 2007-10-12 19:56:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> I don't think so. It was me who invented the db base classes, besides
> they have undergone some major rewrite (ever heard of pgSetIterator?)
> I checked quite thoroughly, including the icon (which I'd replace if I
> had another one at hand).

You invented the abstraction, but taking pgConnBase as an example,
pgConnBase::pgConnBase, pgConnBase::ExecuteVoid,
pgConnBase::ExecuteScalar, pgConnBase::ExecuteSet were all copied from
pgConn and were the key member functions originally written by Mark
Yeatman and myself.

Similarly, pgSetBase was largely ripped from pgSet, base.cpp includes
numerous functions from misc.cpp, appbase.cpp includes a small amount of
code from pgAdmin3.cpp.

I can easily trace back significant amounts of code in those base
classes to times before you submitted *any* patches, to commits by Mark
and I (as can anyone will to spend a few minutes at
http://svn.pgadmin.org/). The only base class that originated from you
was factory.cpp, and even that contains code written by Magnus Hagander
and I committed long before you left the project.

I do not for one minute deny that you also have contributed significant
code to those classes, but the fact remains all bar the factory code is
derived from the work of others, no matter how rewritten it has become
in your work.

Given that on your PSE Consulting website at
http://www.pse-consulting.de/os.html you speak of how you appreciate the
Open Source concept, I find it incredible that you can have such
disregard for the hard work of others by ignoring the very basic
principles of Open Source. I'm dismayed that someone I considered a
friend and held in high regard could act in such a disgraceful manner.

Regards, Dave.