Re: pgAdmin licence

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin licence
Date: 2007-10-11 09:25:29
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> This email has been sent to you because our records indicate that at
> some point in the past you have contributed to the pgAdmin III project
> (http://www.pgadmin.org). It this is not the case, please let me know as
> soon as possible.
>
> Since it was first released, pgAdmin III has been distributed under
> version 1.0 of the Artistic licence. I am writing to request your
> permission to distribute the code you have submitted under version 2.0
> of the Artistic licence, and any future versions that might be published.
>
> There are a number of reasons why we would like to change the licence
> used by pgAdmin (per Tom Callaway of Redhat):
>
> - The FSF says it isn't free. They say that the text is vague, and that
> it is open to misinterpretation.
>
> - The perl community agrees with this assessment. They went so far as
> to rewrite the Artistic license to resolve all the identified problems
> (see http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_2_0).
>
> - The Artistic License (1.0) recently went to trial in the US and lost.
> The judge interpreted it in a very negative way, and that worries me.
> (http://lawandlifesiliconvalley.blogspot.com/2007/08/new-open-source-legal-decision-jacobsen.html)
>
> I'm sure you will agree that it would be sensible for us to use the
> newer version of the licence in the future and would therefore
> appreciate it if you could reply to this email as soon as possible
> stating either:
>
> * I agree for all contributions I have made to the pgAdmin III project
> to be distributed under version 2.0 or any future versions of the
> Artistic licence.
>
> or:
>
> * I do not agree to any licence change for contributions I have made to
> the pgAdmin III project.

Dave,

for me the worst case already happened last year, when I had to fork my
own code to continue my job. As a consequence, I won't give away control
over sources any more for tools I release to the public, such as
www.pse-consulting.de/pg/pgImport.zip.

I do NOT agree to change licensing on my prior code.

Regards,
Andreas