Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com, matthew(at)zeut(dot)net, coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-23 15:55:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:07:20 -0400
> Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> wrote:
>> Does the current implementation of pg_autovacuum have a way of setting
>> windows where it is allowed to vacuum? Many large 24/7 will only allow
>> vacuumming at certain times of the day.
>
> It seems to me that the point of pg_autovacuum would be to run 24/7 so
> that there is never big hit on the system. Perhaps it could be designed
> to throttle itself based on current system usage though.

Right, there has been some talk about taking the system load into account,
but no action yet.

One comment I failed to make in my last email was that there should be
less need to explictly disallow vacuum during peak periods since vacuum
will only be occuring on specific tables when needed, which will effect
the server for a much smaller period of time than a general vacuum command
that touches all the tables.