Re: OpenSSL Applink

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OpenSSL Applink
Date: 2007-10-03 17:00:20
Lists: pgsql-patches

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
>>> Should we backpatch a version of it to previous versions that does just the
>>> error stack manipulation, or just ignore on the grounds that nobody has
>>> reported the problem there (it's there, but it's a lot more narrow - I know
>>> it's there, but I havent' been able to provoket it due to not knowing
>>> enough about setting up certificate chains and such)
>> That's only a cosmetic problem (wrong error message), right? I'd vote
>> for no backpatch, at least for now --- I'd rather see this change get
>> through beta testing first. Anytime you're fooling with interactions
>> with some other package, the risk of portability issues is high.
>
> Right.
> Applied to HEAD. Will wait for a buildfarm cycle to make sure it doesn't
> kill anything else then try to backport to 8.2 (patch didn't apply
> cleanly to it)

I guess you guys already found a solution that works, but there's yet
another function, "BIO *BIO_new_mem_buf(void *data, int len)", that we
could use. We could open and read the file all by ourselves into memory,
then call BIO_new_mem_buf and pass that to PEM_read_X509. No need to
pass around file pointers, and we could handle any file I/O errors
ourselves. Presumably certificates are never very big, so reading it all
in memory shouldn't be a problem.

BIO_new_mem_buf was introduced in OpenSSL 0.9.7. What versions do we
support?

--
Heikki Linnakangas