localization, encoding problem

From: "j n" <jneuschld(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: localization, encoding problem
Date: 2006-05-23 11:37:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hellou all

i have a problem to convert data from utf8 to ascii. My localization is
slovakia and we use characters like
'á é š ť' and so on. But many times it is the same if u use 'á' or 'a'. Som
I need to translate theese special characters. Somebody told me to use
function to_ascii() but this function throws me an error : not supported
encoding to ascii.

OS : debian
PostgreSQL : 8.1.3
configured with --enable-multibyte=UTF8