Re: Please change default characterset for database cluster

From: brian <brian(at)zijn-digital(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please change default characterset for database cluster
Date: 2007-09-30 15:31:27
Lists: pgsql-general

>>CN wrote:
> ... MyZql ... MyZql
>
> 1. "MyZql" is easier to pronounce and remember than "PostgreSQL".

Actually, that's *MySQL*.

> Yes, UNICODE results in poorer performance than SQL_ASCII. However, this
> is not a problem at all because advanced users will use "-E" when they
> only needs SQL_ASCII. On the contrary, novices who actually needs
> UNICODE but get SQL_ASCII after PostgreSQL installation usually walk
> away and embrace MyZql which appears to be able to always help them
> setup their first web site with a few mouse clicks and with all the
> default values prompted by MyZql-install.exe.

The default for MySQL is latin1 with swedish sorting.

> As in my unhappy experience, the webmaster must have used initdb without
> "-E" option to initialized his database cluster. He also used a cPanel
> which does not provide "-E" option for createdb. I posted a request to
> that site asking for providing "-E" option for createdb by his cPanel.
> That webmaster said that he can not program cPanel. Another user replied
> me by asking: "What don't you simply use MyZql?". The net result is
> that I left his site and reduced the total number of PostgreSQL users
> from his site.

You've reduced the total number of users, period. That's as it should
be. It's really quite simple: if they cannot give you the level of
service you require then go somewhere else. It's silly to suggest that
the Postgres developers should alter the default behaviour simply so
that you can continue paying money for service that is clearly
inadequate to your needs.

brian