Re: Feature request in pgadmin (tested on Beta 5)

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Kieran McCusker <kieran(dot)mccusker(at)kwest(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature request in pgadmin (tested on Beta 5)
Date: 2007-09-28 11:08:34
Lists: pgadmin-support

Kieran McCusker wrote:
> Hi
>
> Could I just mention a couple of requests:-
>
> 1. The first is to do with the treeview. The use case is where my users
> just connect to a single database (limited by datname). Here the
> treeview shows :-
>
> Servers (1)
> -> Server
> -> Databases (1)
> -> Database
> -> Schemas (n)
> -> Schema the actually want to look at
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to collapse the treeview in this
> case either using options -> display?
>
> In this case the server is acting as a synonym for a database (as far
> as the users are concerned) so you could imagine hiding the Servers,
> Databases and Database leaving :-
>
> Server
> -> Schemas (n)
> -> Schema the actually want to look at

I've been toying with the idea of having the treeview in a tabset in
which users can create new treeviews using a node on an existing one as
the root on a new one. I just haven't got round too it (too many ideas,
too little time :-( )

> 2. Allowing connect to server to specify both user and password.
>
> This is another case where I have to create multiple connections to
> the same database cluster to allow connection by different users
> (standard user, superuser etc.). It also discourages me from using
> individual user ids for my users (always bad!).

That doesn't sound too hard - the dialog already has the required
controls on it (albeit hidden in the scenario you're using it in) - we
could just display them and default their values to what we currently use.

Anyone want a little starter project?

Regards, Dave.