Re: name Re: Dropping postgres as a whole.

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: John Wang <johncwang(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: name Re: Dropping postgres as a whole.
Date: 2007-09-27 18:24:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake escribió:
>
>> Interesting point but I don't think that would be a problem in general.
>> Mainly because as good as we are... we are not Proctor & Gamble ;). Nor
>> are we even in the same sector (business/financial etc...).
>>
>> I like Pg but I would also not be opposed to pgsql, which is extremely
>> common.
>
> I think we're trying to find a name for saying out aloud. Both "pg" and
> "pgsql" are mostly used in writing.
>
> I respect the idea of not renaming PostgreSQL to Postgres immediately,
> just like I support the idea of eventually doing it. However, the idea
> of dropping Postgres as a name/alias altogether seems blind and dumb.
> Blind, because it ignores the fact that many people already use that
> name. Dumb, because there is a lot of support (granted, not consensus)
> for actually using it as the official name.

Fair enough... I would note that I use the term Pg while speaking all
the time. I commonly refer to it as Pg when dealing with pretty much all
of our customers.

I would also note that we are talking about writing :) because this
thread is an offshoot of the question if we should intersperse the
PostgreSQL and Postgres names in the docs. Thus, my idea that we say
PostgreSQL, once in the docs (excluding title) to state:

PostgreSQL, further referred to as Pg (or whatever) and throughout the
docs "All" references to PostgreSQL would say Pg (or Pgsql).

The reason I brought up Pg as a whole is:

1. It is short and sweet

2. It is very commonly used including in these like applications and
drivers.. You don't see DBD::PostgreSQL it is DBD::Pg similarly you
don't see PHPPostgreSQLAdmin, it is PHPPgAdmin (did I case that right?).

3. It shows that there is certainly more than one alternative (versus
just Postgres) should we decide to do this.

4. It is short and sweet :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL