Re: A bunch of minor issues

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Subject: Re: A bunch of minor issues
Date: 2007-09-26 11:26:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> [Guillaume; I've left some of Heikki's suggestions to your discretion,
> please read on...]
>
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> When creating a table or index, it would be nice if we checked that the
>> value given for fillfactor is valid, within 0-100, in pgAdmin. Would be
>> nicer than getting an error message from server.
>
> We defer all validation to the server as a general rule. Some things are
> very difficult to verify on the client (the default value of a columnor
> a check constraint for example) so we leave it all to the server.

Ok, makes sense.

> RECREATE is a pgAdmin extension that drops and recreates an index.

What's the advantage of that, compared to normal REINDEX?

> It
> isn't implemented for constraints (iirc) due to the window in which it
> could leave the table unconstrained. Although... is that actually an
> issue? I assume it is because the catalogs are always read with
> SnapshotNow() (is that the right one?). Anyway, you get the point.
> Grateful if you can confirm if we're right to worry or not!

I think it would work if you dropped and recreated the constraint in a
single transaction. The DROP would acquire an exclusive lock on the
table, so anyone trying to insert to it would block.

>> At a few places, buttons are laid out on top of each other, or over text
>> labels, or columns are too narrow for the translated text. I know, this
>> is mentioned in the howto, but it's still annoying. How well do the
>> non-resizeable dialogs work with different font sizes, BTW?
>
> Reasonably well as a general rule, but some GTK themes can do wierd
> things. The dialogues are all laid out using 'dialog units', the actual
> size of which are calculated at runtime taking into account the font
> selection. Much of what is in the howto relates to v1.0 before the
> current system was implemented.
>
> As you know I work in OS X and Windows most of the time and I know there
> are no sizing issues there in English. Is this something specific to
> running in Finnish (should that be Fin?), or GTK do you think?

Finnish texts do tend to more longer than English. It's not a problem in
most places, but for example "Rename" in the favourites manager is
translated to "Nimeä uudelleen", which is quite a bit longer. If we just
made the space reserved for the button bigger, it would look quite silly
in English I think. But as it is, the button is partly underneath the
"Remove" button.

>> In checkboxes, sometimes a question mark is used at the end of the label
>> text, sometimes not.
>
> Yeah, I don't know how those strings translate out of English, but some
> have the inflection of a question, whilst others are more of a statement
> with a true/false part - I think that's where the difference comes from.
> There are a couple I'm not sure about.
>
> I'm inclined to leave these for now and standardise them in the redesign
> next to round. They've been like that for a while, and I'd rather not
> cheese off the translators this late in the cycle!

Yeah, probably don't want to change it now. I'd suggest changing them
all to the true/false statement form in the future.

>> It would be nice if the references to lines in source files in the
>> po-files worked for the strings extracted from xrc-files as well...
>
> Thats somewhat out of our control unfortunately (it's a wxWidgets thing).

Only somewhat ;-). I hacked wxXml, wxrc and stringextract to do that.
I'll clean that up and post patches to wx the wxWidgets list, as well
the changes to stringextract.

Meanwhile, anyone interested in the pgadmin3.pot file I have here with
the file/line numbers in it? I can post it if so..

>> In the "Manage macros" dialog, the "Name" column in the list is way too
>> narrow, about 2-3 chars.
>
> That must be a GTK thing as it's about 2.5 times the size of the Key
> column here. Is the Key column too large, forcing the Name to be small,
> or is there a bunch of unused space?

There's a bunch of unused space. I can send you a screenshot.

>> For messages like "%d seconds", "%d rows", the plural forms of the
>> formatting functions/macros should be used, see
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Plural-forms.
>> Google suggests that wxWidgets has a wxPLURAL macro for plural forms,
>> that works like the _() macro that's used for normal strings.
>
> Guillaume - is this something you want to do now, or defer for the next
> release? Obviously it would break strings and I'd *really* like to go RC
> in the next week or so!

Yeah, probably better to leave it until next release.

--
Heikki Linnakangas