A bunch of minor issues

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: A bunch of minor issues
Date: 2007-09-25 20:15:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I'm working on the Finnish translation to bring it up-to-date, and
bumped into a few minor issues, mostly localization related. This is the
first time I'm hacking or even using pgAdmin, so excuse me if some of
these topics have been discussed to death already:

When creating a table or index, it would be nice if we checked that the
value given for fillfactor is valid, within 0-100, in pgAdmin. Would be
nicer than getting an error message from server.

REINDEX options under "Maintenance". Always grey'd out, AFAICS. What are
these?

When trying to commit/rollback a prepared transaction in a database
other than 'postgres', using the "server status" dialog, I always get
this error message:

ERROR: prepared transaction belongs to another database
HINT: Connect to the database where the transaction was prepared to
finish it.

Apparently the "server status" always operates with the 'postgres'
database...

At a few places, buttons are laid out on top of each other, or over text
labels, or columns are too narrow for the translated text. I know, this
is mentioned in the howto, but it's still annoying. How well do the
non-resizeable dialogs work with different font sizes, BTW?

The "result copy quote" options in the main configuration options were
not self-explanatory. I'd suggest grouping the three options together in
a group box, and disabling the "result copy quote character" and "-
separator" settings when "none"-quoting is selected.

In checkboxes, sometimes a question mark is used at the end of the label
text, sometimes not.

Attached is a patch to change a few string constructions to be more
localization-friendly. There's still a lot of troublesome constructs
like "Cannot drop system %s", where %s is replaced with "View",
"Sequence" etc. That doesn't work for many languages, including Finnish,
where the following word needs to be inflected differently depending on
the context. The patch also removes a bogus tooltip from a
"Help"-button. You might want to replace it with a proper tooltip
instead of removing it altogether.

It would be nice if the references to lines in source files in the
po-files worked for the strings extracted from xrc-files as well...

In the "Manage macros" dialog, the "Name" column in the list is way too
narrow, about 2-3 chars.

For messages like "%d seconds", "%d rows", the plural forms of the
formatting functions/macros should be used, see
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Plural-forms.
Google suggests that wxWidgets has a wxPLURAL macro for plural forms,
that works like the _() macro that's used for normal strings.

There's some strings in calls to wxLogDebug, like "OnTargetComplete()
called", that are wrapped in _() for translation. Aren't those just for
developers, and therefore a waste of time to translate?

--
Heikki Linnakangas