ilike multi-byte pattern cache

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ilike multi-byte pattern cache
Date: 2007-09-22 14:41:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

The attached patch implements a one-value pattern cache for the
multi-byte encoding case for ILIKE. This reduces calls to lower() by
(50% -1) in the common case where the pattern is a constant. My own
testing and Guillaume Smet's show that this cuts roughly in half the
performance penalty we inflicted by using lower() in that case.

Is this sufficiently low risk to sneak into 8.3?

cheers

andrew

Attachment Content-Type Size
ilikepcache.patch text/x-patch 2.3 KB