Re: BUG #3614: pg_config returns incorrect information for includedir-server

From: Michael Akinde <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3614: pg_config returns incorrect information for includedir-server
Date: 2007-09-21 08:48:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm ... works fine for me in both 8.2.5 and HEAD, which means either
> we fixed it since 8.2.4 (but I see nothing relevant in the CVS logs),
> or there's something relevant you didn't mention.
>
> One thing to be aware of is that pg_config's path output is not just
> hardwired strings; the paths are computed relative to the location of
> the pg_config executable. So if you'd moved the executable from where
> it was supposed to be installed, possibly that would explain it.

I didn't move any executables manually, so I don't think that's it. I
did take a look through the pg_config source files, so I can see how the
path could be mangled if, e.g., I was somehow calling a pg_config in the
wrong location. I also checked pg_config_paths.h, which contained the
correct paths.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the pg_config being used was the
correct one. I was particularly alert to this issue, as my first
suspicion was that it could be some other installation of postgres that
was "interfering" with my installation. I trawled through the
environment variables pretty thoroughly (and changed them about), for
this reason, but didn't find anything to lead me to suspect this to be
the case - other than the problem persisting.

It disappeared, finally, after I uninstalled postgres, removed all files
and then rebuilt everything from scratch, and reinstalled.

> If that's not it, could we see the complete output of pg_config,
> especially the full list of configure options? I'm also wondering if
> you tried a VPATH build; if so, what were the full paths of the source
> and build directories? (That one's just grasping at a straw; I don't
> *think* VPATH should have anything to do with this...)

No VPATH build.

Since rebuilding that particular build, (and more recently upgrading
8.2.5 yesterday), I have not been able to reproduce the bug
(unfortunately, I didn't think to save any of the old files when
rebuilding). So, for the moment, I have nothing to add on this issue.

Regards,

Michael A.

Attachment Content-Type Size
michael.akinde.vcf text/x-vcard 287 bytes