Effect of database encoding on performance

From: "Igor Postelnik" <Igor_Postelnik(at)messageone(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Effect of database encoding on performance
Date: 2005-02-01 16:38:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

What's the effect of different encodings on database performance?

We're looking to switch encoding of our database from SQL_ASCII to UTF-8
to better handle international data. I expect that at least 90% of our
data will be in the ASCII range with a few characters that need
double-byte encoding. Has anyone done extensive comparison of the
performance of different encodings?

-Igor