Re: bug when dropping parent table

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug when dropping parent table
Date: 2007-09-18 00:06:59
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page wrote:

> I'm beginning to think that we need to try to maintain a list of
> dependent objects within each object (perhaps by OID), and when we drop
> or alter anything, we scan the tree for dependencies and refresh as
> appropriate. I'm worried that could be expensive, but at least it should
> be possible now that the refresh function is able to retain the node
> state. This isn't a project for 1.8 though.

I have to agree with you. This is not for 1.8. Your idea of maitaining a
list of dependent objects is good but too expensive. Another idea is to
query the pg_depend to get all the dependencies (imitating the DROP ...
CASCADE code) before drop the target object. So we could scan the tree
for these dependencies and remove them too.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/