Re: Implementing Replication via pgAdmin

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Daniel B(dot) Thurman" <dant(at)cdkkt(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgadmin-Support (E-mail)" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Implementing Replication via pgAdmin
Date: 2007-09-17 19:56:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Thanks Dave.
>
> But I am having some trouble trying to get replication to work.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1) On master server:
> a) I registered: lib/slevent.dll
> b) I register as a service: slon -regservice
> c) slon -listengines
> 2 engine(s) registered for service 'Slony-I'
> Engine 1: E:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\slon.conf
> Engine 2: E:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\master.conf
> d) Started the slon service via manage->services
>
> 2) On Slave Server
> a) I registered: lib/slevent.dll
> b) I register as a service: slon -regservice
> c) slon -listengines
> 2 engine(s) registered for service 'Slony-I'
> Engine 1: E:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\slon.conf
> Engine 2: E:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\slave.conf
> d) Started the slon service via manage->services

Why did you register 2 engines on each? For a simple master-slave setup
you would only need one engine for the master and one for the slave.

> 3) Launched: pgAdmin3 (v1.6.2)

You might want to try 1.8 beta 5. There have been some useful
improvements to the Slony code.

> a) Created Master Server Connection
> b) Selected database: MyTest
> c) Right-clicked Replication object, selected from menu: New slony-I Cluster ...
> d) Join existsing cluster: [unchecked]
> Server: <Master-Server-Name> [Greyed out]
> Database: MyTest [Entered data]
> Cluster Name: <Master-HostName>-Master-Cluster [entered data]
> Local Node: 1, Value: "Master Node" [entered data]
> Admin Node: 99, Value: "pgAdmin Node" [entered data]
> Comment: <empty> [no data entered]
> d) Clicked OK and Completed structure shows:
> <Master Hostname>-Master-Cluster
> Nodes (2)
> Master Node
> Paths (0)
> listens (0)
> pgAdmin Node
> Paths (1)
> Master Node
> listens (1)
> Master Node (Master Node)
> Replication Sets (0)

OK.

> At this point, I tried to add a slave node but was unable to:
> a) I tried (on Master server) connection:

Setup the slave on the slave, not the master.

> b) Then I tried (on Slave Server) connection:
> 1) Right-clicked Replication object, selected from menu: New slony-I Cluster ...
> 2) Join existing cluster: [checked]
> Server: <Slave-Server-Name> [Initially was Greyed out, but active after a delay]
> Database: MyTest [unchanged]
> Cluster Name: <empty> [dropdown shows empty list and not selecteable]
> Local Node: <empty>, Value: <empty>
> Admin Node: <empty>, Value: <empty>
> Comment: <empty>
>
> At this point, it makes no sense to enter any fields after 'Cluster Name' since
> the 'Cluster Name' must have a value and 'OK' remains greyed out.

Yeah, iirc that could happen on earlier versions of pgAdmin. Install a
copy of 1.8 beta 5 (it'll install alongside your current copy) and try
that. It should work more as you would expect.

Regards, Dave.