Re: making the XARessource serializable

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "teknokrat" <teknokrat(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: making the XARessource serializable
Date: 2007-09-17 10:18:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

teknokrat wrote:
> Is there any reason that the postgresql implementation of XAResource is
> not serializable? We are having issues with XARecovery in Arjuna because
> of this. What is required to make PGXAConnection serializable?

PGXAConnection represents a physical connection to the database, so you
certainly can't make that Serializable.

What kind of issues are you having in Arjuna? It can't depend on
serialization of XAResources; there's nothing in the spec saying an
XAResource implementation needs to be serializable, and a quick look at
other DBMS XAResource implementations suggests that they generally aren't.

--
Heikki Linnakangas