Re: PL/TCL Patch to prevent postgres from becoming multithreaded

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Marshall, Steve" <smarshall(at)wsi(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/TCL Patch to prevent postgres from becoming multithreaded
Date: 2007-09-16 15:57:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> writes:
>> yeah testing that patch now (seems to apply just fine on -HEAD) but it
>> seems that there is something strange going on because I just got:
>
> ! ERROR: could not read block 2 of relation 1663/16384/2606: read only 0 of 8192 bytes
>
> Is that repeatable? What sort of filesystem are you testing on?
> (soft-mounted NFS by any chance?)

doesn't seem to be repeatable :-(

on the postitive side - the pltcl patch does seem to fix the mentioned
regression failures quagga triggered earlier this year. I did about a
dozends of full buildfarm runs with that patch and about ten manual
executions of the pltcl regression tests without any sign of
misbehaviour so this seems like a clear candidate for at least -HEAD.

Stefan