Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance?

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, mfatticcioni(at)mbigroup(dot)it, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance?
Date: 2007-09-08 17:25:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> That chance is minuscule or at least should be. Of course we are
>>> assuming some level of conditioned power that is independent of the
>>> power bus, e.g; a UPS.
>> how is that making it different in practise ? - if both are on the same
>> UPS they are affectively on the same power bus ...
>
> Well I was thinking the bus that is in the wall. I would assume that
> people were smart enough to have independent UPS systems for each server.
>
> city power->line conditioning generator->panel->plug->UPS->server
>
> wash, rinse repeat.

the typical datacenter version of this is actually more like:

city power->UPS (with generator in parallel)->panel->plug

or

city power->flywheel->(maybe UPS)->panel->plug

it is not really that common to have say two different UPS feeds in your
rack (at least not for normal housing or the average corporate
datacenter) - mostly you get two feeds from different power distribution
panels (so different breakers) but that's about it.
Having a local UPS attached is usually not really that helpful either
because those have limited capacity need space and are an additional
thing that can (and will) fail.

Stefan