Re: Terms and Definitions for Database Replication

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Terms and Definitions for Database Replication
Date: 2007-09-07 14:26:43
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

Robert Treat wrote:
> Example may have been the wrong word. That paragraph explains what single
> master is explicitly, but never explains what multiple master is explicitly
> (ie. more than one node accepting writes, and then using 2PC or conflict
> resultion to push changes around). So maybe just provide a more explicit
> definition of MM.

I've changed that and added paragraph about multi-master replication
explicitly. Additionally, I'm now mentioning the alternative terms
master-slave as well as primary and secondary.

A paragraph about failover and standby has been added. And the eager vs
lazy text has been made clearer (hopefully).

Other additions: shared-disk vs shared-nothing, vertical and horizontal
partitioning and a rant about 'grids'.

Thank you for your inputs.

Regards

Markus