Re: More refresh issues

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More refresh issues
Date: 2007-09-06 15:57:34
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi developers!
>
> Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0 Beta 4 (Sep 4 2007, rev: 6608:6609).
> Client Win XP, host: Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4 and Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8
>
> When making changes via properties dialog, the new policy is to update
> _all_ affected places in the object tree. Did I get that right?
>
> There are some more instances, where this is not observed:
> - Changing trigger functions in the table subtree does not update the
> twin instance of the object in the "Trigger Functions" collection.

Yeah, that ones a real pita, and probably not worth the code wart it
would need to fix it. The whole Function under Trigger thing is a kludge
imho :-(

> - Changing / Dropping UNIQUE constraints does not update the table node.
> (This worked in the last beta. Though adding comments works now!)
> Could not test this for adding a new UNIQUE constraints due to the
> crash I reported earlier.

Fixed.

> - Adding / Changing / Dropping rules does not update the table node.

Fixed.

> Losing the focus every time a father / grandfather node is updated is a
> rather unwelcome side effect (we talked about it). In the case of a
> large tree the whole tree is moved up and down and, more often than not,
> the focus wanders out of sight. As far as I am concerned, this is way
> more annoying than all of the above.

Fixed :-)

> Other quirks:
> - When hitting <DEL> on a collection in a table subtree, the focus jumps
> back to the table node (although the "drop" icon in the menu bar is
> disabled for collections). Looks like it it trying to refresh the table
> node. It should do nothing, like it does on collection nodes outside the
> table subtree.

Fixed.

> - You can also hit <DEL> on the trigger function of a trigger in the
> table subtree, which tries to drop it. But this can never succeed, as
> there is a depending object per definition (the trigger). We might as
> well disable dropping here.

See previous comments about code warts :-(

I've uploaded a binary to
http://developer.pgadmin.org/~dpage/pgadmin3.zip - would appreciate it
if you could check I haven't inadvertently broken anything else!!

Thanks,Dave