Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-08-29 19:21:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> There _will_ be confusion, work
> for package maintainers, nasty upgrade problems with oldbies who say,
> "Oh, I don't want Postgres; I want the SQL-engine one," and edits to
> the manual.

For those people, perhaps we rename "postmaster" to "postSQLmaster"
so they don't get too confused and can still see that SQL's in there
somewhere.

More seriously - I agree that there's work - but if there's a transition
period where "postgres" is the preferred name and "postgresql" is the
alternative acceptable name that work doesn't have to be a time-critical crisis.