Etc/% timezones

From: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Etc/% timezones
Date: 2007-08-29 12:26:38
Lists: pgsql-general

I just noticed that in the pg_timezone_names system table, the name and
abbrev of the "Etc/%" timezones appear to be inverted with their
utc_offset value.

I never noticed before, as I filter these zones out (among others) and
do not use them in my app. I was just interested as to why the suggested
abbrev field and utc_offset field are the opposite sign of each other.
Is this a bug or is there a reason for this? I have included the output
from the view with the relevant time zones below.

E.g., I am in Melbourne, Australia, which I have always known as GMT+10
(ignoring DST). According to the below list, however, the timezone that
has the matching utc_offset to mine is called "Etc/GMT-10", which to me
seems wrong. Were I presented with a list of the names, I'd select
"Etc/GMT+10" as my time zone, incorrectly telling the app that my
timezone's utc_offset is -10:00:00.

I'm pretty certain that this is a bug. Can anyone confirm?

Regards,
- Naz.

select * from pg_timezone_names where name ilike 'etc/%' order by
utc_offset, abbrev, name;
name | abbrev | utc_offset | is_dst
---------------+--------+------------+--------
Etc/GMT+12 | GMT+12 | -12:00:00 | f