pg_dump object dump-order

From: KL <zappa_lot(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump object dump-order
Date: 2007-08-28 16:08:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

Greetings

I'm working with PostgreSQL for quite some time now
but only yesterday ran into a specific problem, as - so far -
I have always used customized backup/restore-scripts.

PROBLEM:
pg_dump seems to dump objects strictly alphabetically,
I presume. Hence a table "events" is always dumped
_before_ any sequence "events_id_seq" that is already
being referenced in the "create table"-statement for
table "events".

Example

CREATE TABLE event (
event_id integer DEFAULT nextval('event_id_seq'::text) NOT NULL,
.
.
.
);

ALTER TABLE public.event OWNER TO someuser;

--
-- Name: event_id_seq; Type: SEQUENCE; Schema: public; Owner: someuser
--

CREATE SEQUENCE event_id_seq
INCREMENT BY 1

This ordering results in an error upon importing the data
with "psql".

QUESTION:
Is there any solution/option/trick/secret/whatever
to make pg_dump export referenced objects _before_
they are being referenced?

Thanks in advance

PS:
The thing isn't really urgent, as I have my "custom"-scripts
anyway, but it could be convenient to just have pg_dump
and psql as reliable, "out-of-the-box"-fallback-options.

I searched the lists here and also googled the whole day,
but couldn't find anything appropriate. Should there be
a thread about this issue already, I'd like to apologize
in advance.