Re: pgadmin 1.8.0 beta3 bug

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin 1.8.0 beta3 bug
Date: 2007-08-28 15:30:29
Lists: pgadmin-support

dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote:
> Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
>
>> If any change via properties dialog would collapse the whole table
>> subtree that would be a change for the worse IMO. Then I'd rather have
>> the status quo ante.
>> Is there no way to just refresh the SQL pane?
>>

> Not really - it's generated from all the other bits of data. I updated
> the .exe at http://developer.pgadmin.org/~dpage/pgadmin3.zip; try it out
> and see what you think.

Thanks, got it and tested it.
Having the whole table subtree collapse with any adjustment kills the
workflow. If, for instance, I want to add /change comments for a dozen
fields of a table this quickly becomes a pain.
I see the SQL pane being out of date as the lesser pain under the given
circumstances. It also has advantages:
- The SQL pane can serve as a "backup" if you mess up. You can restore
the previous state from there.
- It teaches you to refresh the SQL pane before you work on it - which
is always a good idea.
- Less traffic /load on the database

If there was a cheaper way to cascade changes to SQL pane, I would
probably go for it.
If there isn't, how about this: add a timestamp to the header. Like this:

-- Table: foo (snapshot created: 2007-08-27 17:24:17)

-- DROP TABLE foo;

CREATE TABLE foo ....

Regards
Erwin