Performance issue

From: Willo van der Merwe <willo(at)mirasol(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Performance issue
Date: 2007-08-27 13:41:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Guys,

I have something odd. I have Gallery2 running on PostgreSQL 8.1, and
recently I upgraded to 8.1.9-1.el4s1.1 (64bit). The issue here really is
how do I get PostgreSQL to work with their horrible code. The queries
they generate look something like :
SELECT blah, blah FROM table1, table2 WHERE <some relational stuff> AND
id IN (<here a list of 42000+ IDs are listed>)

On the previous version (which I can't recall what it was, but it was a
version 8.1) the queries executed fine, but suddenly now, these queries
are taking up-to 4 minutes to complete. I am convinced it's the
parsing/handling of the IN clause. It could, of course, be that the list
has grown so large that it can't fit into a buffer anymore. For obvious
reasons I can't run an EXPLAIN ANALYZE from a prompt. I vacuum and
reindex the database daily.

I'd prefer not to have to rewrite the code, so any suggestions would be
very welcome.

Kind regards

Willo van der Merwe