Best implementation of PATRICIA

From: Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil(at)over(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Best implementation of PATRICIA
Date: 2007-08-25 18:37:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello!

I'm working on a project requiring fast query like 'does ADDRESS belongs
to SET OF NETWORKS?'. Naturally, such a query is better implemented
using PATRICIA, but building PATRICIA tree is a relatively long task and
is better to be done once, for instance, at server startup.

I'm thinking of implementing such a tree using stored procedures, and
looking for advise from postgresql-hackers: how can I hook startup of
server?

Idea of having something like a blob to store and restore PATRICIA tree
may be better suited to standard SQL, but I'm looking for more elegant
solution. Or am I totally wrong?

Alex.