Re: Installing Postgres

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing Postgres
Date: 2007-08-23 17:20:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Joshua,
> As I stated in my original email I know I can install the database in a
> subdirectory of /abc/def/pgsql_data. I know that.

You can not install into a mount point. That is your problem. That is
what the lost+found is telling you, that it is a mount point. You *must*
install into a directory on the mount point.

Which is why I gave you the solution I did.

> Let me ask this of the listserv: Is it possible to install the
> PostgreSQL database in a directory and then move the directory later?

Yes, if you follow what I said above.

> Example: I install PostgreSQL to /abc/data can I move the files then to
> /def/data?

If data is *not a mount point* yes, but you will want to move the whole
directory (with special cases for pg_log, and pg_xlog).

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
>
> Lance Campbell
> Project Manager/Software Architect
> Web Services at Public Affairs
> University of Illinois
> 217.333.0382
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

- --

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL