Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird feature comparison finished
Date: 2007-08-23 16:50:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Dave Page wrote:
> Couple of corrections Tony:
>
> - You don't necessarily need to stop the postmaster to take a filesystem
> backup -
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP.
> Obviously that assumes logs will be replayed during recovery.
>
> - The native win32 port will run on FAT32, we just prevent the installer
> from initdb'ing on such a partition. You can do it manually however, but
> tablespaces won't work.
>
> I'm a little puzzled about why you list multi-threaded architecture as a
> feature - on Windows it's a little more efficient of course, but the
> multi-process architecture is arguably far more robust, and certainly
> used to be more portable (I'm not sure that's still the case for
> platforms we actually care about).
>
> Regards, Dave.

Thanks Dave.
Will update ASAP.

I agree with you on the multi-threaded. I think I will add a note
saying the the multi-threaded architecture is only advantageous on Windows.
I have seen instances where the threaded version of Firebird completely
craps out because one of the threads has issues.

Will also make a note that it can run on FAT32 with some limitations.

Later,

Tony