Re: ispell file format

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ispell file format
Date: 2007-08-23 09:38:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> Is the file format for the ispell dictionary documented somewhere?
>> There's apparently support for an old and a new format, but I can't
>> figure out what the formats are.
>
> ispell, myspell and hunspell formats are supported automagically.
> They are available from openoffice.org

I downloaded a finnish ispell dictionary and affix (the small version)
from ispell-fi.sourceforge.net, converted if to UTF-8 with iconv, but
it's not accepting the affix file:

ERROR: syntax error at line 83 of affix file
"/home/hlinnaka/pgsql.cvshead/share/tsearch_data/finnish.affix"

Here's a snippet of the affix file around that line:

> prefixes
>
> flag *A:
> . > ALI # alivaltiosihteeri, alihankkija # line 83
> I > ALI\-

ispell works just fine with it.

I found a man page describing the ispell file format with Google:
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/ispell/ispell.4.html. Is this the same
file format tsearch accepts? It looks like the grammar we accept is only
a small subset of the ispell grammar, there's things statements like
"boundarychars", "stringchar" that we apparently don't support.

Now is not a good time to start rewriting that, but at least we need to
know what exactly we support and what not. In the long run, it might be
cleaner to use yacc for the parser.

--
Heikki Linnakangas