Re: Auto-partitioning?

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-partitioning?
Date: 2007-08-21 20:46:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Steve Wampler wrote:
> ... Specifically, I'm wondering if it's
> possible to add a default rule that would create a new partition
> (with indices, etc.) and would add a new rule for this partition
> to match the similar ones above (and, of course, then move the
> INSERT into the new partition).

I think I've answered my own question, but would love an expert
to validate the answer:

The answer is "no", apparently because 'name' in

CREATE RULE name ...

can't be an expression. So there's no way to dynamically create a
sequence of rules because you can't create new rule names inside
the body of the 'default' rule. Ergo, no way to to auto-partitioning.

Is that correct? Is that the only reason, or is 'create rule...'
simply not something that can be done inside another 'create rule...'?

It's possible to have a 'default' rule (of sorts) by taking advantage
of the alphabetic order of rule application, but that rule is unable
to produce new rules. Pity.

Thanks,
Steve
--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu