Re: 8.3 beta testing suggestions welcome

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.3 beta testing suggestions welcome
Date: 2007-08-21 18:27:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 1:12 PM, in message
<Pine(dot)GSO(dot)4(dot)64(dot)0708211316210(dot)16511(at)westnet(dot)com>, Greg Smith
<gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> The other thing I realized you haven't mentioned yet is what operating
> system you're using.

Linux version 2.6.5-7.286-bigsmp (geeko(at)buildhost) (gcc version 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)) #1 SMP Thu May 31 10:12:58 UTC 2007

SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (i586)
VERSION = 9
PATCHLEVEL = 3

I know this is old, but I was happy just to get them off of Windows. :-/

> My suggestion for a starting 8.3 configuration for you would be adjusting
> these settings as follows:
>
> shared_buffers=1GB
> checkpoint_segments = 50
>
> And then try replaying your data with checkpoint_completion_target at 0.5
> (default), 0.7, and 0.9 and see how each of those works out for you (0.7
> is the least useful of those if you only did two). Hopefully the data
> replay you have can be setup to invoke the same tightly spaced checkpoint
> behavior you commented about. Based on the results of those tests, it may
> be possible to further increase shared_buffers, and
> checkpoint_segments/checkpoint_timeout may need some adjustment one way or
> another.
>
> Note that some/all of the bgwriter_lru parameters may be going away before
> 8.3 is done as well, that's a loose end I'm working on right now.

Thanks much. If I get the approval, I'll be sure to run these three tests.
It probably makes sense to get a baseline with the current config first.
I assume you want me to do these with both the update and query streams
running full out?

Anyone else have a configuration to suggest?

-Kevin