Re: Status of 8.3 patches

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Status of 8.3 patches
Date: 2007-08-20 19:54:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> o Automatic adjustment of bgwriter_lru_maxpages
>
> We show this as waiting for performance results. I am thinking we
> should hold this for 8.4.

Agreed. I spent close to a week trying different benchmarks and
configurations and simple test cases on a test server and my laptop, and
couldn't demonstrate bgwriter making a positive impact in any
configuration I tried. The theory behind the patch is sound, but it
looks like a lot more testing and analysis is needed.

> o Error correction for n_dead_tuples
>
> This shows as waiting on another patch. Again, I am thinking to
> keep it for 8.4.

It was waiting on the "vacuum oldestxmin" patch, which didn't make it to
8.3. I don't care for the patch myself, but it was submitted well before
feature freeze and deserves a review. It looks good to me at first glance.

--
Heikki Linnakangas