Re: High update activity, PostgreSQL vs BigDBMS

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: High update activity, PostgreSQL vs BigDBMS
Date: 2007-08-17 22:48:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

I originally posted the question below back in Dec 2006, and many
helpful suggestions resulted. Unfortunately, since this was a closet
effort, my official duties pushed further exploration to the back
burner, then I lost my original test environment. So while I can no
longer compare to BigDBMS, I've just made some discoveries that I
thought others might find helpful.

The app (which I inherited) was implemented making exhaustive use of
stored procedures. All inserts and updates are done using procs. When
configuration changes produced no noticeable improvements in
performance, I turned to the application architecture. In a new
environment, I updated an insert/update intensive part of the app to use
embedded insert and update statements instead of invoking stored
procedures that did the same work. All the remaining code, database
implementation, hardware, etc remains the same.

The results were significant. Running a repeatable test set of data
produced the following results:

With stored procs: 2595 seconds
With embedded inserts/updates: 991 seconds

So at least in this one scenario, it looks like the extensive use of
stored procs is contributing significantly to long run times.

--
Guy Rouillier