Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life

From: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
To: "Michael Meskes" <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jean-Paul ARGUDO" <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)idealx(dot)com>
Cc: "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life
Date: 2002-03-01 11:34:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > As I wrote it before there, it is an ECPG script that runs with bad perfs.
> > it seems that on every commit, the cursor is closed
>
> Cursors shouldn't be closed, but prepared statements are deallocated on each
> commit. AFAIK this is what the standard says.

Wow, this sure sounds completely bogus to me.
Imho CURSORS opened inside a transanction (after BEGIN WORK) are supposed to
be closed (at least with autocommit=yes).

I do not think COMMIT is supposed to do anything with a prepared
statement. That is what EXEC SQL FREE :statementid is for.

That would then match e.g. Informix esql/c.

Andreas