Re: BUG #3512: buggy install + no manual support

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jim Oak <jimbosoak(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3512: buggy install + no manual support
Date: 2007-08-10 21:38:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Again, please don't drop the list CC.

Jim Oak wrote:
> --- Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> (please don't drop the list CC)
>>

>> Jim Oak wrote:

>>> "could not connect to database postgres: server
>> closed
>>> the connection unexpectedly This probably means
>> the
>>> server terminated abnormally before or while
>>> processing the request."
>> This should not be directly related to the port,
>> it's something else
>> that's broken. You need to check the server logs
>> (eventlog + pg_log
>> directory).
>
> yes go figure it out ... for unix/linux install there
> are min requirements in manual (gcc installed) ...
> what's min kernel that supports pgsql 8 but for win32
> there is nothing about that winxp sp1 is not
> supportted (why not?) yes i saw in port compiltaion
> desc they used mingw on wxpsp2 but why it couldn't
> work on sp1

It works fine on SP1. I'd certainly recommend SP2 in all cases though -
nobody should really be using XP without it.

> part of pg_log: (well other logs are empty for some
> reason and last part of text repeats few times in this
> first log)
>
> 2007-08-05 22:20:29 LOG: checkpoint record is at
> 0/487970
> 2007-08-05 22:20:29 LOG: redo record is at 0/487970;
> undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> 2007-08-05 22:20:29 LOG: next transaction ID: 0/595;
> next OID: 10820
> 2007-08-05 22:20:29 LOG: next MultiXactId: 1; next
> MultiXactOffset: 0
> 2007-08-05 22:20:30 LOG: could not receive data from
> client: An operation was attempted on something that
> is not a socket.

If you search the archives, you will find that this is typical of buggy
antivirus or firewall software. Do you have any such software installed
on your server?

> As I stated above for some unknown reason i have no
> problems insttal it on the other machine with sp2?
>
> Is that cause ms changed some libs that's msvcc relies
> on or it's just my old (crappy, decaying, shitty)
> winsp1 install.

It shouldn't be, it's most likely something else installed on that machine.

>> If it's the db password, change your pg_hba config
>> to trust, log in,
>> change the password, and then change pg_hba back to
>> md5. If you search
>> the archives, there should be detailed instructions.
>
> Thx i'll try it (cause im interested to figure it out)
> ... i already try to mess around postgresql.conf w/o
> any progress ... but why you pointing me to pg_hba
> isn't that only to set trusted IPs nothing to do with
> passwords.

No. pg_hba tells which authentication method is used for which IPs. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html.

> and localhost is already set to trust
>
> host all all 127.0.0.1/32
> md5