Features list

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Features list
Date: 2007-08-10 11:22:40
Lists: pgsql-www

I was reading the recent Slashdot thread on MySQL earlier and once again
saw a number of people saying they would use PostgreSQL except for the
lack of replication. This seems to me to be the widespread FUD about
postgres these days.

It seems to us (me and the guys in the office here) that there is
nowhere on the front page of the website to see why we're the world's
most advanced open source DB - in fact, you have to dive in to the About
section and then find a bullet pointed list of features at the bottom of
the Advantages page.

In addition, the About page is very wordy, and describes a few features
(including GiST - no mention of GIN), whilst the Advantages page has a
more comprehensive list of features, but is mainly concerned with
non-technical 'market speak' reasons to use postgres.

So, we had a couple of thoughts on how that can be improved to show
people quickly why they should choose our technology over anyone elses:

- Option 1 - Add a new vertical panel (perhaps replacing the Planet
PostgreSQL one) listing 'Feature at a glance'. This would be a bullet
point list, with links to further information where required - for
example, to explain the benefits of MVCC or our Replication-in-core
policy and external solutions.

- Option 2 - Add a new horizontal panel under the announcement panel,
and above the featured user, containing a 'How can PostgreSQL help me'
link (or some other similar text), linking to a page bullet pointing the
technical reasons, including the replication info.

- Option 3 - Add a 'Key Features' menu option to the grey banner,
right-justified so it appears under the tagline in the banner. Link this
to the same page described in option 2.

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

Regards, Dave